Sunday, May 25, 2014

This Weekend We

I feel like we should be good at Memorial Day Weekends. We live in the right place, and we love cook-outs. And yet, somehow, every Memorial Day I feel like I made the wrong choices, that I didn't do the best thing.

Early last week I vowed to not repeat the mistakes of Memorial Days past. I was determined to make this one the thing of Wes Anderson colored day dreams.

However, I'm left with that lingering feeling that yet again, this particular holiday let me down a little bit, despite the fact that the weather was beautiful and the weekend had not a bad moment. It had a handful of great ones: big breakfasts, endless hours at the beach, cook-outs,  pier jumping, and some seriously good late-night movie watching. Oh, and there was a pretty awesome water gun attack while some poor, unsuspecting kids were just trying to enjoy their root beer floats.

The extra day leaves time for a little more sleeping-in, yard work, and few dips in the bay.

I am  of the school that declares Memorial Day the beginning of summer, maybe since that is the fastest way to get to the start of my favorite season.

Maybe next year I will nail the whole Memorial Day thing. This year was just fine just the way it was.


4 comments:

  1. I felt the same way!! I'm pretty sure I should be killin' it at vacation weekends, and yet, I did not feel relaxed when it was over and definitely felt vaguely on edge the whole weekend. Maybe because I was hosting? Next year, I need to be a guest at someone else's beach house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate, if that's a hint that you want invited down next Memorial Day, consider this your official invitation. But you gotta make crounuts.

      Delete
    2. Hahaha, deal! Spring is the perfect time to leave Maine - MD is so superior in the spring. I don't even see any jellyfish in that water!

      Delete