Thursday, March 19, 2015

Four

Four is the smallest "big family" number. It's a whole human being over the idea of 2.5 children average. It feels like a crowd, a traveling party We've only all ventured out once so far- to Whole Foods to stock up on provisions. It was a bit of an ordeal which luckily ended with running into a friend as we checked out, a friend who generously helped me out to the car to unload (Thanks Christie!).  Sena expressed pride in our numbers, recognizing that we seem to stand out a little more than we did a few short weeks ago. And Sena is always happy to stand out.

Tom says four is our max, that he just can't handle the idea that there are any more people to be out in the world to be worried about, too many fragments of his heart living outside his body, in need of protection. And while I am not 100% ready to think that there are no more children destined to join our family, I do know what he means about worrying about all the pieces of you that are off living without you. Four such pieces does feel like a lot.

The days have mostly been remarkably peaceful and quiet, considering.  Some moments scattering the four kids across the house, other times finding them all in one place. We're trying to find our rhythm, balancing the needs to two homeschooled kids, a toddler and an infant. Sena and Gus have been quick to help. Sena frequently has Alamae filling her arms, and Gus has been taking Arlo outside to play when the little man requests it.

There have certainly been kinks and bumps, but we'll figure it out, establish a new normal or at least something as close to a normal as we are likely to ever experience.







2 comments:

  1. Good thing four is like a traveling party since I'm pretty sure you resolved to have fun this year. Also, I didn't realize that you homeschool! (I'm probably revealing my density by admitting that.) Or did you just start?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom has been the primary home school teacher since I worked full time, so it's totally understandable to miss that. She's still helping me out most days.
      Also, you would think my new year's resolution would have been easier to achieve. I've been really happy-- but I'm not sure that I'm nailing the fun part. I'm hoping spring weather and being not pregnant make that part easier.

      Delete