Monday, May 11, 2015

The Priority Shift

It seems that when May came, so too did a whole different set of priorities. All the sudden my kitchen endeavors were all but abandoned, as were the plans for home improvements. Now I dream of new plants for our blooming garden and try to think of the easiest meals possible to make hastily after a day at the beach.

School work feels like a chore, and I find myself wanting to reread Free to Learn in order to justify my frequent decisions to put away books in favor of afternoons spent in sunshine.

Every time the vacuum finally finds its way across these pine boards and scattered rugs, it picks of heaps of sand and dirt, mulch and flower petals, even the occasional shark tooth that stuck itself to a leg unbeknownst to the carrier.

Last week, on one such day, a day that felt that it was meant to be lived at the water's edge, we packed our things and made a merry band, my mom, sisters, children and myself. We searched for said shark teeth, and the kids covered themselves in bay mud. I shrouded Alamae in thin white blankets, but accidentally let the rest of my kids turn pink. It was a day full of creek water and ordinary adventures.

3 comments:

  1. hello,

    thank you for visiting my blog. It is nice to discover this new interesting blog. Looks like you guys had lots of fun at the beach :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the childhood your precious babies will remember...and oh what memories to have!! I posted about it earlier, but the very best thing you can ever give your children is your time. I honestly don't believe they will remember the shape of the house or the extravagant dinners...but this right here - completely invaluable!

    ReplyDelete