Monday, April 21, 2014

Wabi-Sabi / 06

Before I started a blog, I read lots of blogs, and they were always going on and on about the connections and community that came as a part of blogging. I wasn't sure that I really believed them. However, I have learned that the connections and community are real. In my day to day life, I don't get to interact with that many other women and mothers who share similar ideas and thoughts. For a long time, it made me feel a little weird or self-conscious. Heaven knows there are plenty of mommy bloggers who I have absolutely nothing in common with, but there are some, like Nicole from Rose Runs Wild, who write words that I sometimes feel like I should have written myself.

Nicole, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and for these glimpses into your home. 



Tell us about your home. 

Our home is a two story that was built in 1925, and our neighborhood was one of the first built in Fort Wayne specifically for automobile owners. Before that the land was a horse racing track. That's one of the things I love about older homes, always a story and so much history. It's the first home we have bought and still very bare since we just moved in almost two months ago. I love the light in our home more than anything. The house has big windows in every single room. Even the closets have windows. It's a wonderful feeling to have light constantly pouring in our home. It's filled with character and warmth. 


 What is your relationship to the mess, to disorder? 

We're not friends. Mess and disorder is inevitable, but I try to keep our house as free of it as possible. When things are messy and out of order, I feel like I cannot think or accomplish anything. I also have this weird thing with cleaning. I love to clean. Nothing makes me happier than spending a Sunday doing laundry and deep cleaning everything to get it ready for the busy week ahead. The week always brings mess and disorder, always. I've learned (kind of) to let it go throughout the week. Life is hard enough, some days there just isn't time.  I think like everything in life, you have to find a balance. 


How does your home reflect wabi-sabi?

We have a 13 year old, two dogs that love to play in the dirt and roll in. . . god knows what and my husband works from home so our house is very lived in even after the little time we have been there. There is never a perfectly put together moment or a day where the house is as clean as I want because we are human, we are family. We are messy and chaotic. We are not perfect in any way but that's what makes us who we are and we love who we are and the home we live in. 



What do you find beautiful? 

I find the way a home is ever changing to be beautiful. Each family brings with it their own mark on a home. Over a home's lifetime it can have so many different looks, so many layers of paint, wallpaper and flooring. Homes are in a constant evolution and I think that's absolutely gorgeous. 


Nicole, thank you again, for this and for your kindmess and your support. I like you enough to not be too jealous about all that light and all those windows. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi again Rachel.

    I'm so glad you decided to leave a comment over at my blog, so I found your little corner of the internet :D
    I had a read around and like what I see. And really love how you showcase other peoples homes. I'm sort of a interior freak, and really enjoy these sneakpeaks!

    And I stopped by Rose Runs Wild, and omg, I laughed so hard when I read this: Suddenly, I became a minivan mom. I joined the leagues of so many moms before me!!!

    Love how you write! Hope to get to know you better in time.

    Lots of love

    Steinsdotter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks so much Shoko. I can't wait to see/ hear what you have to add to the conversation (no rush, I promise).

      Delete