Thursday, October 31, 2013

Wanted/ 03

I want my children to be grateful. I want them to say thanks for all that they have and all that they are.
I know that they will not always be happy, that hard times will come, and a smile just won't fit on their souls. But even in those times, I want them to remember how good they have it. Remember that they are safe. That they are loved. That they have no real needs, only wants.

I think about those mothers in Syria and Somalia and in so many other corners of the world, whose children aren't safe, whose children have needs. And I am grateful that my heart doesn't ache like theirs do, day in and day out.
And I want my children to know that they are so fortunate, that they are so blessed, and that they had nothing to do with those blessings. That it was just the luck of the draw, and their cards came up winning. And to not appreciate this life, to not appreciate all that they have, all that they are, is  just plain wrong, deeply wrong.




Sometimes I think that the only person more fortunate than my children is me.I'm grateful for my messy kitchen, and I'm even more grateful for kitchen mess makers.

More Wants:

Wanted/ 01
Wanted/ 02

What do you want for your children?

2 comments:

  1. This is something I struggle with a lot with my children. On the one hand, I want them to know just how good they have it - especially when the whining about "you NEVER buy us happy meals anymore" or "NONE of my toys are new anymore" sets in. But on the flip side, I don't want them to know suffering at all. I never want them to know what it is like to be hungry, or for there not to be enough of anything (which I experienced growing up).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it comes down to teaching empathy- teaching them that suffering, like so many things, exists even though they haven't experienced it. Maybe they'll never really understand it; maybe I don't. I haven't experienced real suffering, but I think that I can imagine it, empathize. It's hard business teaching this stuff.

      Delete