Friday, March 7, 2014

Sena

Tomorrow Sena turns nine.

Her birthdays hit me hard. This one looks like it might be the hardest yet.

I love this little girl, but realize her days of girl are numbered. I don't know what it means for me; how will I ever be a mother of a teenager?

She still plays and lives in an imaginative world full of dolls and costumes, but every March 8th, I feel the end of those days getting closer. A sense of impending doom.

Tonight we leave for Brooklyn-- just the girls. Sena, my mama, and me. And we'll eat at Sena's favorite restaurant, and we'll tour the Tenement Museum, and we'll spend too many dollars at the American Girl Store. And I'll do my best to stop imagining what she'll be like when she's older, and do my very best appreciate the wildly creative, incredibly wacky little nine year old girl in front of me. The one who can never manage to put her leggings on right side in. The one who always wants there to be grown ups around to talk to. 

I love this girl. I love that she always wants to try new things and go to new places. I love that she loves to learn and to create. I'm sure that this year will be full of a thousand wonderful things. Happy birthday, Asenath Rose. 




4 comments:

  1. Wishing her a very happy birthday and you all a lovely trip together :). I've found through a friend who alerted me to your wabi-sabi posts - an interest of mine too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you found your way over here. I'm excited to explore the whole wabi sabi idea. I'm interested in what your thoughts are as well.

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday Sena! We love you!!!

    Carrie, Matt, Jake, Felix, Phoebe and Sadie <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete