Monday, July 1, 2013

This Weekend We- Buzzards on a Boat

Tom has become a fisherman, and Gus couldn't be happier. On Saturday our friends took Tom and my big guys out on their sailboat, and they spent the morning trying desperately to catch us some dinner.
The rest of the weekend was spent running around with neighbors and visting cousins. Burgers and rootbeer floats, attempts at catching fireflies. It was full of everything summer is made of.
Embarrassingly I spent too many of those hours feeling sad, sad because I wasn't directing Sena and Gus from beach to waterpark to pool. They were so happy and content to play, and I couldn't help but feel a little extraneous. 
Motherhood can be weird sometimes; I want my kids to be independent, fun-loving, free-spirited. I love unstructured play; I try to stay at the sidelines, but darn, if it isn't hard watching them grown up.
I could so easily become one of those moms who keeps having babies just so there is always some helpless little cooing monster who needs me. I'm going to have to learn how to entertain myself one of these days.






1 comment:

  1. OMG, I know how you feel. It is SO hard watching you kids grow up. Mine just turned 1 and 3, and wow...! I miss the little baby stage already!

    On the other hand, though, it's so much fun seeing them grow, and learn and make (usually) good decisions! It's bittersweet, for sure.

    Sounds like you guys are making the most of summer, though! :)

    ReplyDelete