Friday, March 18, 2016

Cousin/ Neighbor/ Friend

I've been known to indulge in fantasies about moving somewhere far away. Maybe Maine or Tennessee. Maybe the mountains. More likely the beach. Every place I go becomes a new possibility, sending me looking for real estate, envisioning a new life.

Sometimes it's about going somewhere new. Sometimes it's about getting away from a place I know too well. But if it was ever going to happen, it would have happened before my niece came. Even if I could leave my parents and siblings and friends (which clearly I can't), I don't think I could ever leave her. Not just because I love her, but because I couldn't bear to tear these two apart. They don't know it yet, but they are are going to be the best friends you ever saw. 

And soon enough there will be a new little person for me to love, a boy cousin for these girls to adore. My family might drive me bonkers (and I hope everyone who reads this or sees pictures knows, my family does drive me bonkers), but when they make the most wonderful small humans, I'm held prisoner. I'll never leave them. Might as well settle in for the duration. 

No comments:

Post a Comment