Wednesday, June 12, 2013

This Weekend We- Alumni Style

This weekend we went back to our alma mater for alumni weekend, a weekend that bears some resemblance to summer camp with beer. We swam in the river, in the rain and in the sunshine. We kayaked and picnicked and spent the night in a dingy dorm room. We saw old friends, and the kids made new ones. We revealed in the beauty of our old campus and in the comfort of so many old friends, and it always seems appropriate to make some comment about how we're reliving the glory days. But as I watched my beautiful children play with my friend's beautiful children, as I watched them come to love a place I love so dearly, I was struck by the fact that I am not reliving the glory days; I live the glory days day in and day out. 

I am so lucky to have gone to St. Mary's; I learned there, I grew there, I met my best friends there, I found Tom there. College was great, and St. Mary's is wonderful, but now is great too, this moment is wonderful. And those moments on the docks, watching the sunset, my kids laughing in the distance, eating St. James pizza, that was super wonderful.















No comments:

Post a Comment